Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Holidays and the Coming Year

This Christmas was different. I wasn't with my parents for the first time so that made for some new events but it was the first Christmas Rich and I have been able to be at home together, at least until he went to work. Then I met up with Jen and Melissa, two fabulous ladies, to see The Holiday.

We then left for Kingston and started our vacation there on the 27th and returned home January 1st. We attended a New Years party there with a bunch of young couples from the Kingston corps, and my parents. I've never seen a party break up so quickly. By 12:10 the place had almost cleared out. We were there till after 1am I think, which for my Dad who is normally in bed at 10pm is quite a feat! It was a fun evening and we introduced Whoonu to a whole new group of people. Jan 1st is my youngest brother Ian's birthday, and this year was his 18th, so we stayed to celebrate with him before we headed home, stopping off to see my Aunt and Uncle and Chewie's brother on our way. Now we are home, and it's great to be back. We're doing some vegging and reorganizing of things. The 27+ year old tree is in the garbage finally and the decorations are away.

As I am sure is the case with most newly married couples, we seem to be contemplating a lot of changes for the future. Some are huge, some are small. Some are normal, some are crazy. Some are exciting, some are petrifying. Some I can share, some I can't. All include a lot of prayer and patience. I am not great at either, but I am especially bad at the latter.

I am not really making resolutions this year, but sort of goals. I know they seem like the same thing, but so many people (including myself) break resolutions by Jan 3rd, so I think having goals written down somewhere will be more effective for me. There are goals for every facet of my life, and I pray I'll have the strength to accomplish some of them.
So my prayer this year is I'll be a better person. Better in my faith, a better musician, a better friend, a better teacher, a better student, a better pet-owner, a better cook, a better housekeeper, a better eater, a better private person, a better sister (and in-law), a better daughter (and in-law), and a better wife.

Happy New Year to all, and I hope 2007 brings you all your hearts desires!

5 Comments:

At 8:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that you guys are dreaming - contemplating big and little changes. I find dreaming so exciting. Praying for you both this coming year.

I remember my first Christmas without my parents - the year we got married we said we were going to stay home and be by ourselves as we had just gotten married in December and seen all the family. We didn't last through Christmas Eve before we were calling my parents to come over.

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Margie said...

This must have been a great second Christmas for you... especially now that you have a year of marriage under your belt. THe future is an interesting thing to think about... dream about and try and figure out!

I hope that it brings you all your hopes and dreams!

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Jaci said...

Thanks for the prayer and well wishes ladies! Nice to know I have wonderful women around like you both I can ask for advice when needed!

Hope 2007 brings joy for both of you and your beautiful families.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

I hope that 2007 brings you all you hope and dream for

 
At 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are great ambitions - imagine what a world this would be if everyone had such goals!

You Go Girl!

Houston

 

Post a Comment

<< Home