Wednesday, November 15, 2006

School Fun

*Changed the kids and other teachers names for both their privacy and protection, and mine!

One of our favorite kids (the other student teacher and myself love him) is on a few of the special ed lists and has some issues. He's a sweet kid. Last week while wandering around helping kids work on a theory sheet I can feel this person behind me. Not see, feel. They were definitely in my space. I took a step forward and spun to have Bob* shaking his paper in front of me to ask a question. He immediately started to talk and I stopped him and said "Bob....next time you need to say something to introduce yourself - don't just stand right behind me and wait - why don't you try that first?". I turned back around. He tapped me on the shoulder and then about 4 inches from me yelled "HI!!!!" and launched into his question. Scared me half to death it was so funny.
-----------
Jim*, one of the drummers was having a hard time reading his music. The teacher asked him if he needed glasses and he replied first that he had them and then that he didn't need them. When he was asked to put them on he grumbled but did. The teacher said to him "what's wrong do you not like how they look?" When he replied no, he said "can you see yourself right now?". The kid tried to look at himself. I was dying laughing. He looked up at his eyebrows (tried to) and tilted his head back. So funny.
------------
It's sad we're leaving this week - we're just started to really bond with some of the kids. One on the music council mentioned that she needed us to leave our contact info as they wanted to invite us to the Music Banquet at the end of the year which if they remember to would be nice.
-----------
I asked one student what she used to breathe yesterday. She said her nose. Sounds like a perfectly logical answer, unless you are a musician. You use your diaphragm and the kids know this. She had a momentary lapse which was funny.
-----------
During my grade 10 strings class today I was talking about dynamics. I was asking them about what the first dynamic marking was. They answered it was piano (p). I asked what the next one was and one of the girls said it was pp, meaning pianissimo. She meant double p, double piano, pianissimo - any of the above. That's not what she said though. She said Pee Pee. Fits of giggles followed from everyone in the class. How do you continue? They are such good kids. I said "Giggle amongst yourselves for a moment". Just giving them that minute to relax and laugh and they didn't giggle for 10 minutes which some of them would do.
----------
Craziest thing that is happened so far: I was sitting in the music office with the other student teacher (ST) and one of the teachers (Phil* (Gary that's for you!)) when ST says her birthday is in December. Phil mentions he knows 4 others with the same birthday and she asks who they are. He mentions the first one who had an unusual name. I repeat the name back but include the last name -
He says "Yes how do you know her?"
I said "Her husband is my cousin. "
Him: "Oh ok so you know Tim and Mark his brothers obviously?"
Me: "We grew up together many years ago. I'm related to their wives too (they married sisters)."
Him: "I was closer to Tim growing up....were you at their weddings?"
Me: "Yes".
Him: "I was in Tim's wedding party."
Me: "What!?!"
Him: "I was in Tim and Leanne's wedding party."
Me: "I was in Tim and Leanne's wedding party too."

So 7 years ago we were in the same wedding and had no idea who the other one was. Too funny. This is also the same teacher who knows Pernell. He played piano at Pernell and Margie's wedding. During morning choir yesterday he's telling the kids what their uniform is for group photos as they are being done tomorrow. He said "Black on the bottom and white on the top. Don't be like a guy in my high school and wear black on the top and white on the bottom." They all giggled. He turns to me and says "It was Pernell." Sounds like Pernell!

I am going to miss the kids and the teachers. Don't want to go back to school next week, but I am looking forward to being home with Rich again. Tomorrow is Parent Teacher interviews, then Friday, and then that's it. 2 more sleeps till I'm home!

7 Comments:

At 5:44 PM, Blogger Rich said...

Can't wait unti you're home!

 
At 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave is your cousin??? I just had lunch with the guy recently.

Read my latest post on my blog - he commented!!!

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Natasha said...

I am gald to hear that things sound like they are going great. It will be great to have you around again... I am sure that all the kids will miss you.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Margie said...

Pernell is a dough dough!

Her is so silly!

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Margie said...

I meant to say he

 
At 11:58 PM, Blogger Jaci said...

Schnooks - Me either! One more sleep!

Pernell - I saw that! Does Dave have a blog?

Natasha - It'll be great to be home and to see you and everyone again. Thanks for everything!

Margie - He totally is!

 
At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No he doesn't.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home