Sunday, December 17, 2006

Countdown to Christmas Continues

School is officially done for the holiday! It's really interesting how your perception of things can shift. I still love classes, but after getting to teach for a while I really miss it.

This was a busy week. Tuesday I had class for the last time. We originally had a lesson plan due in History which also had a group component and we could hand it in any time before the 15th. The prof extended the due date till the 21st which in my opinion was not good. I was going to be at the school for the last time on the 15th and wanted to be completely done. It's nice he gave us the extension but I was afraid my group would want to get together after the 15th. Luckily we split it up in such a way I won't have to go back into the city. Tuesday night we had another great small group meeting!

Wednesday Rich and I drove to Scarborough Towncenter, parked the car and took the subway to U of T for the Professional Preparation Conference that OISE puts on. (OISE = Ontario Institute for Studies in Education.) The first two sessions were good and Rich contentedly played game boy while I frantically took notes. From there we went back to the car and went to Markham Station for dinner. They make a good breakfast and serve it all day, but we made the mistake of getting real food which was awful, from an equally bad waitress. From there we went to the school I did my placement at to see their Christmas concert. We got there early enough we had front row center seats. It was so nice to see the kids again. I got lots of hugs, lots of "we miss you!" and the funniest comment was "Do you remember how I did on my interval test? He hasn't handed them back yet." It was so funny. The kids did great and Dave (the dept head) acknowledged both of us (myself and the other student teacher) in the concert and the kids all stamped and hooted and hollered for us. So much fun. I can't wait to have my own department.

Thursday was back for more of the conference which was an entire day of wasted time. Then off to Theology Pub at Jack Astors which was fun.

Friday another wasted day at the conference which prompted me to write a letter to the organizers. Still waiting for a response.

Yesterday I finished my Christmas shopping and celebrated the end of the school season by watching some movies and wrapping presents. I do have a bit of homework but not much. I should be able to get it all done before Rich is done work on Thursday and then we can have a relaxing Christmas holiday.

I got my second placement and it's in Hamilton! It's the second closest public school to our place and sounds like my AT (associate teacher) is going to be very supportive. I just have to figure out my internship now. We have to self select our final placement and it doesn't necessarily have to be in a school. I have an idea for what I'd like to do and hopefully I can get to work on that this week.

Well off to get some lunch! Hope everyone is ready for Christmas! 8 sleeps!

1 Comments:

At 11:39 PM, Blogger Rich said...

Eight lords a 'leapin! Eight more sleeps 'till SANTA!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home