Saturday, November 18, 2006

School's Out....

So I'm done my placement. It was terrible leaving. I have learned so much being there and still have so much learning and practicing to do. During my time there I had two grade nine classes, one strings, one band, 3 grade 10 classes, one strings, two band, and one 11/12 split band class. I also sat in on a lot of the 11 and 12 vocal classes, and all the extra curricular ensembles. My three grade 10 classes I think I'd have to say were my favorite.

Grade nines are still trying to figure out the whole high school thing so they aren't really themselves yet. The 10's are in this fun time where they are getting to know themselves a bit better and are more comfortable in their own classes. I only had the strings my last week but they were my last class of the day yesterday and we had a lot of fun. I found the longer I was at the school the more relaxed I was and the more fun the kids had with me.

My two morning grade 10 classes were so much fun. The kids only have any given class every other day so I told my 10's yesterday it was the last class I was going to have with them. I got accosted for hugs from a few of them in the hall yesterday which was nice. They warn you so much about any form of physical contact with the kids at OISE to the point that you forget these kids are human. When they run up and almost knock you over with a hug it's great for reminding you it's ok to hug them back.

My 10 class yesterday morning is one I had mixed feelings about for the first couple weeks. They were more challenging because they had stronger personalities, but they are great kids once you get to know them. I got hugs from some of them too and lots of thank you's, don't leave, stay and work here, one "when are you going to get a baby", and even a letter from one student for me to read when I got home.

My associate teacher, plus two of the other three music teachers (one is out of town) took Michelle (the other student) and I out for breakfast yesterday as it was a late start at school. It was so much fun and a wonderful treat. When we finally left yesterday I thought I was going to be fine but no....why would it be that easy!! I cried and they all found that highly amusing. The teachers all hugged us and off we went. I'll go back for their Christmas concert in December but it will be really hard not seeing them every day.

It's funny, you apply to go to school to be a teacher, and then you finally get a chance to really teach. For a while you are petrified, but then by the end you are thinking well this is what I want to do...I don't want to go back to class, I want to stay and teach. I learned more in those four weeks than I did the 2 months leading up to it. Oh well.

I'm back, and so happy to be back with Rich. Now I have to get back to homework :-(

2 Comments:

At 1:05 PM, Blogger Natasha said...

of course they would miss you how could they not. It will be nice for you to go back for the concert to see them all again. Glad to have you back.
Hope that you are well.

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Rich said...

I'm glad to have you back too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home