Friday, September 08, 2006

Weight Watchers

So most of you know Rich and I have been doing Weight Watchers. I haven't been too diligent in the last couple weeks with my point tracking which is bad. I have lost about 10 lbs to date and have been holding at that. Rich has lost close to 30 which makes me jealous. I know others out there who are reading are also doing the program. I have a sweet tooth. Well....a whole mouthful of them. That makes dieting hard. So Rich suggested for those out there who are trying to shed a few, that I post some of my yummy desserts I've used lately to satisfy my sweet cravings. Basically one point = about 50 calories or so. Hope anyone who tries them doesn't hate them - I'm not a fabulous cook yet but I'm learning!

Self Layering Jell0 (not the recipe that's on the boxes now)
1 package Jello - any flavour
1/4 cup boiling water
1/3 cups cold water plus as many ice cubes as it takes to make 1 1/4 cups ice plus water
1/2 cup cool whip
Blend with blender the boiling water and jello for about 30 seconds on low. Add the cold water and ice cubes, stir until they are mostly dissolved. Add 1/2 cup cool whip and blend again for about 30 seconds. Pour immediately into small glasses - makes 4 servings, put tsp of cool whip on top before you serve. These are refreshing and yummy and are 1 point each.

Mini Banana Creme Pies
8 small dessert cups or tin tart shell molds
1 and 1/4 graham cracker crumbs
2 tbsp powdered sugar
2 tbsp + melted margarine (some days I need more, some days I don't)
1 package instant banana pudding mix prepared last (use skim milk to make a bit healthier)
1 large banana
lemon juice (optional)
Cool whip (optional)

Mix graham crumbs and powdered sugar, add melted butted and mix. Press into bottom and up sides of tart shells or dessert dishes to make crust. Use as much or as little melted butter as you want, less is healthier. Slice banana so there is a few slices for each cup. Dip in lemon juice to keep from browning. Prepare pudding according to directions on package and before letting it set immediately pour into dessert cups. Plop Cool Whip or whipping cream on the top before serving. These are about 3 points per serving. None of the measurements are super exact - play with them to suit your taste!

We also found making your own popsicles out of favorite fruit juices is only about 1 point compared to a glass of juice for 3 or 4.

Other things we do are just pudding with some sliced fruit, or jello with cool whip.

Another thing we do my friend introduced us to. Chapman's makes some great frozen yogurt - I don't like yogurt generally, frozen or otherwise but theirs tastes like ice cream. 1/2 cup of their frozen yogurt on a sugar cone with a mini Hersheys kiss in the bottom (stops leaks and makes it taste like a drumstick at the end) is 3 points.

The same friend took a package of Thinsation cookies and made mini ice cream sandwhiches for 3 points. Yummy.

Finally, my favorite already prepared treat when I need chocolate is Hershey's Chocolate Sticks. They come in milk chocolate, mint, dark and caramel (my fav) and it's only 1 point a stick.

I'll post more as I come up with them and would love to hear any that are out there! Good luck dieters!

3 Comments:

At 9:01 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

Hey there Jaci...BRAVO I have gone yo yo'ing for 100 years and weight watchers is the way to go, I myself am down 32 lbs and you will hit slumps, trust me, but keep perservering, it's worth it in the end......I have also gone back to my old gym regime...3 days on, 4 days off for now and including a class called "body pump"..OMG amazing..hard at first, but so worth it..

keep it up, been there, going thru it again, it's hard, so much easier to put it on than take it off..but having people in your cheering section totally helps!

 
At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Might I suggest granny smith apples. The pectin is helpful in ridding your body of cholesterol and also fatty acids. Worked for me. If nothing else, it's a great snack choice and kills cravings for anything less healthy!

 
At 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Call me!!! I'm the queen of WW recipes, and now that I'm not employed by them... I can share. Just let me know what you like, I'll hook you up. L

 

Post a Comment

<< Home