Thursday, August 17, 2006

Finished

Well I am done. It's been a very stressful week for me so I haven't posted. But now a major chunk of stress was relieved so I am able to post.

Anyone who reads my blog knows I am going back to school and had applied to reduce to part time hours at work. I was approved a few weeks ago and as recent as last Friday I was sitting with scheduling at my supervisors prompting to hammer out my vacation and schedule for the coming year. Most of you also know Rich and I are moving on the first of September due to reasons beyond our control. I tried to get the 1st off, no go. I said I'd call in personal - gave them plenty of advance notice, and take the day unpaid. That started a downward spiral that shocked me.

From that point on my supervisor and his superiors began to harrass me about both my move, my attendance, my voice, and many other unfounded things. Rich and I had discussed the possibility of me resigning in the fall (like in October) but hadn't made a decision yet. Then all this happened and I realized they were trying to get rid of me. I stuck it out until yesterday.

The icing on the cake is that I was hauled in yesterday and my part time status was revoked. They said I would have to stay full time. I knew for sure they were trying to get me out. I was forced to sit through the same questions with different people repeatedly, all of them knowing I am having difficulties with my voice again. Rich and I talked and we made a decision. I spoke to the labour board who said I have a good case for constructive dismissal - being forced to quit due to pressure/harrassment and being made uncomfortable. It's the worst working environment I've ever been in. Most people know I hated my job, but this was unbearable.

I drafted my letter of resignation and took it into HR this morning at 9am, and started work. I put my end date as August 31st (two weeks). By 10:30 I had been hauled in and told my offer of resignation was accepted, and that I didn't need to come in any further, but I would be paid in full until the 31st with benefits and complimentary services. I believe they knew they'd forced me out and didn't want me telling anyone else what they'd done to me. I also had such a bad feeling about all this I fully expected to get fired (without grounds mind you - they've never even so much as written me up or given me an official verbal warning for anything) so I cleaned out my drawer. I had almost nothing to take today, and off I went.

Everyone was a bit shocked. It was kinda funny to watch actually. The supervisors looked smug until they heard people saying "make sure you go to the labour board" and things like that. I also took in an extra copy of my 4 page letter of resignation and dropped it on a friends desk. I'm sure it will circulate quite quickly. I'll see some of them again, some I won't, some I don't want to.

So it's weird. I am home now - officially unemployed. This will ensure we have a fabulous move of course, I have no excuse but to be super prepared, and we'll save some gas money over the next few weeks. I almost feel like I was fired, I am upset I knew they wanted me out. It's awkward. But I know I resigned, and why, and they can think what they want that makes them sleep better at night. I did get a few good shots in at them while I was there. In one conversation my supervisor suggested Rich move on his own, and I told him I thought that was inappropriate. I said "You'd never ask your wife to pack up your house and home and move all by herself". He said "no but I've had to ask her to do things without me because of my job before because I have to prioritize". So I calmly said "well I prioritize differently, I have chosen to prioritize my marriage above my job". He looked a bit stunned. Woohoo go me! So I do feel weird, but God knows what's best for me right?

Hope all is well with everyone. 3 days till Spamalot!

4 Comments:

At 12:03 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

Jaci - you made the right decision, to be forced out of a job is a horrid situation, for I have been there too, when I was pregnant, I was put on bedrest, completely OUT Of my control and I told my employer due to medical reasons I was not able to continue working until after the birth of my son and my mat-leave, they deducted the 5 weeks off my maternity leave staing I didn't give SUBSTANTIAL Time when I left work 5 weeks prior to the birth of my child. - like I had control of that, so when anotnio was less than 5 months old, I was back to work. I returned to find my OWN job was given to someone else and I was pushed to the bottom of the rung, the bosses stating "we have the obligation to hold you A job, not your OWN job", nice.....5 months and 2 weeks after my return I started to get harassed about my being late a few times due to babysitting issues, that I had to leave early once due to my son being sick and having a conflict that was NOT my fault with a coworker. I was told to go home on 2 days "suspended work" and I did, my husband supported my decision to leave after that...they even offered my job back after 2 months after finding out that it was going to take THREE people to fill MY shoes.

HAHA, I wont post what I said, but be rest assured, I got the last laugh.

Dont think you did anything but make the right decision for yourself...you'll find another job. You can't work in such an environment! Congrats for having the pride in YOURSELF and the GUTS that lots wish they had for making a decision for yourself and making your LIFE your first priority, not your job.

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Jaci said...

Thanks for the support Andrea - I needed to hear it today - I appreciate it! Rich says I truly am a kept woman now! Lookin forward to it lol.

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

so RICH knows taht means you get the car, you get an ALLOWANCE and get to shop for prada and gucci etc.....right RICH?

:)

lol, ok, after reading that list, I wanna be a kept woman...........

 
At 7:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Jaci! It never feels good to have to leave a job on terms like that, even if you know it was the right move in the end.

Hey, if you need cheering up, Spamalot is definitely needed. It was HILARIOUS!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home