Friday, September 08, 2006

Orientation

So I officially feel like a student! I had my orientation yesterday at U of T. I forgot what it was like to do that commute. The morning I actually don't mind too much. And Nick I think I'll be taking a later train than you normally. My classes don't start till 8:30am and my orientation yesterday was at 8:30 sort of. I ended up getting there at 8am and wandering around to see if I knew where everything was. I picked up my package and was part of the first assembly. I ended up in a room with a few hundred other students where they gave us their initial "you all rock for getting in, thank you for giving us your thousands of dollars, yaaayy teaching rah rah rah" speech. It was actually not too bad. From there I had lots of running around to do to get my library card, student card, gotrain form etc. Then we had a meeting with our cohort.

So I'd never really heard anyone use the word cohort until Freeway, and then U of T uses it all the time. So basically we have 2 classes that are our teachable subjects (Music and History for me), then 1 elective, and 3 core course (Teaching Education Seminar, Sociology, and Psychology). Everyone takes the core couses. They split all of us up though into these small groups of 30 people or so and teach the core courses from a perspective that interests you - we had to apply to get into these. So I'm in the arts one which is cool. It's the one I wanted. The prof is actually pretty cool, most of the teachers I've met so far seem great.

Basically it was very yaaaaayyy teaching and lots of encouragement. I left with a backpack full of pamphlets, Ministry books, a coursebook that is a kazillion pages long, and many other papers.

We are pretty much unpacked which is great. Ivan is peeing everywhere because he's mad at us and I am so ready to kill him. We'd love to have company so stop in sometime and check out the place!

Off to do a bit more unpacking. Yaaaayyy school!

1 Comments:

At 10:39 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

Going back to school has always been a secret desire of my own, I'm envious and excited for you all at the same time.....

Sounds like the cat is NOT happy about your move.........I can relate....

Enjoy your weekend!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home