Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Tools and Schools

So I went to school yesterday for the first real class! Wooohoooo! I was nervous. What if I wasn't right for the program, not prepared enough, dressed wrong....I felt like I was in high school I was so self concious. I had my Music and History classes that I have twice a week all year. They are my Cirriculum and Instruction courses. It was good to talk to some students and find out some of them had the same cheesy interests that I have (like musical theater) and some were as nervous as I was to start.

I have a question to pose to my fellow musicians and all those out there who like music:

What is Music?

We got into a debate. If someone is making noise that can be perceived as music, is it music if there is no intent to create music? What about children making noise/singing? Does it have to be structured? It was so nice to talk to people about these things. I actually left feeling more intelligent. I have felt very stunted intellectually since I graduated and I think this is really what I needed to motivate me to study on my own.

When I got home from all our running around Rich went downstairs to build me shelves for our dvd collection. For those of you who know Rich this is not a small feat. He is tool challenged for the most part. Since we've been here though he has been doing so well. He went to Home Depot (his new favorite store), picked up all the things he'd need. He came home and built me 3 6' LEVEL shelves for my dvd's right where I wanted them. I was so proud of him. You will have to come over and gush at what a spectacular job he did!

He bought me a new dress. I love it. Sooooooooo pretty. It's red. I've never had a red dress. I'm a bit afraid to wear it.

One last question for the girls.....well.....or the guys. Can any of you do hair? Like up dos or pretty blow dry type things? I am looking for some assistance on Friday the 22....or whatever that Friday is.

Hope everyone is having a great week!

5 Comments:

At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They arent level. Close but no cigr.

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger John said...

As long as things don't roll off the shelves, it's level :)

As far as the music question goes, I believe it's all in the perception of the listener. What is noise to some is music to others. Take the sound crickets make for instance. It's always sound, but on a night when you are outside, and it's a nice night, the sound is musical. When you can't sleep, and it's 3 AM and there is a cricket right outside your window keeping you awake, it's noise. The sound changes from music to noise depending on your perception.

Wow, my brain hurts now :)

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

When did JOHN become so perceptive...I feel infeior now..........

Tho I do agree, it's definately in teh perception of who is listening (but notice I dont need to go ON and ON Like some people..lol)

OH I wish I could offer my hair services, I'm pretty good, but next friday (it is the 22nd) is my birthday.......

 
At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you breed Chameleons, you almost always hear the sound of crickets!

And if you don't it's time to get more ... LOL

Unka Steve

 
At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I fell like I haven't connected with you or the hubby in a while... Glad to hear that school was good... Sorry I am soo not good with hair... don't be afraid to wear the dress.. you are beautiful and will look beautiful in it.
Nat

 

Post a Comment

<< Home