Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Response to Blogging Blog

Thank you for your responses everyone! I'll answer back since some of you asked:

Why I blog - I like to document what is going on in our lives and like some of you I would not really get down to journaling. I've tried a few times, but it's never lasted long - this has, so this works for me. I also like to get people's opinions on things sometimes and I find this should be a good way to do it.

Ok some pros and cons I've discovered so far to blogging:

Pro's:
1) It's helped me get to know people better - I can play catch up and it's like I've known them for longer.
2) I like that I can learn some basic info about people and it serves for a good ice breaker when I actually see them. I'm not good a starting conversations, but this way I have an opener.
3) Gives me a way to vent.
4) Gives me a way to journal with pictures.

Con's:
1) Causes people to feel left out.
2) I wonder if people don't make the effort to contact each other because of the blogs, or if they contact people more because if there was no blogging, we just wouldn't have time.
3) To the blogger, lack of comments can translate to lack of readers.

I've been frustrated with blogging as of late. I find that some people comment on some blogs only, and seem to ignore others (and I have been guilty of most or all things I am mentioning at one time or another). Why is that? Are the people who you aren't commenting on not important to you? You disagree with what they have said? I have asked direct questions at times to try and get advice or people's opinion on things. I see comments on blogs around me, but not mine, so I wonder if it's even being read?

Anyway I haven't decided whether it's ultimately good or bad for a community. It has it's good points and bad, I haven't decided which weighs more at this point.

I check blogs almost obsessively, so I do read all of yours, thanks for checking out mine!

3 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jaci - Great posts about blogging. Sorry I am late coming to the conversation.

Why do I blog?
Because I really value us as a community learning how to tell our story. I guess ultimately I hope people are interested in what we have to say.

For me, my blog isn't really a personal journal. As a pastor, I can't really tell people what I am up to all the time. Nor can I really tell them what I think in written form on the internet. But that's OK, because I think there's something significant about our larger audience. People who I don't know from all over the place read what's happening with our little community, and I think that's exciting. Our responsibility in that is to tell our story as best we can, and maybe challenge/inspire some thinking.

Why do I comment?
Well, first of all, I probably don't comment enough on people's blogs.

I just really wish blogging and commenting wasn't such a popularity contest. Grade nine sucked the first time, I don't want to go again.

I guess my comment to you would be to not worry about who's commenting on who's blog. Who really cares? If it's an issue of you wondering why certain people don't comment on your blog, I would suggest asking them.

I suppose I only comment when something seems to really strike me that I want to add my two cents to. But that's not to suggest that I don;t care about the stuff I don't comment on. I do read all The Freeway blogs at least a few times a week and love seeing hat people are doing/thinking.

Is blogging good or bad for a community?
I guess the jury is still out on that one. But for the most part, I think it has been really good for us as a community... even working through issues. It's obviously not a replacement for real community, nor is it a perfect way to communicate... there is constantly misunderstanding, etc. but I think it's been a great new layer to our process of community.

Sorry this was so long. Thanks for posing the questions.

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Margie said...

It is a little weird that people read peoples blogs and people often doesn't realize how many people are involved or know of their lives...

I like your blog...

And you:)

 
At 6:05 AM, Blogger Jaci said...

Hi Goodyears! Thanks for responding. Pman: I know you can't really blog the way you might being a pastor but I appreciate what you do blog about.

I get comments from friends in and outside the frwy community on my blog - it's not necessarily me I'm thinking of...there are many others I've wondered why no one comments on - it was just a pondering. I'd also be wary of labeling it high school - it very well could be, but I think you run the risk of diminishing people's legitimate (to them anyway) feelings...just my thoughts.

Margie: I like your blog and you too!

Thanks both of you for stopping by!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home