Monday, October 02, 2006

School Shootings

I am upset. I just saw on the news about another school shooting in Pennsylvania. This time it was at an Amish school, and at least 2 children died. They said on the news this is the third school shooting of this kind within ONE WEEK in the US. Then of course Canada has it's own share with the Dawson College shooting. Why does this keep happening?

The Dawson College shooting happened before my first week of school. It took until last Thursday for us to finally discuss it, and that was because someone finally asked why we haven't discussed it. All the shootings have been weighing quite heavily on myself and other students in my classes. I don't want to get to the point that when I'm getting dressed for school when I'm teaching and thinking, "oops I forgot my bullet proof vest!".

I hope and pray it stops soon, although I don't think it will. I think most of the shootings have been in high schools, which makes it all the more scary for me. I know the schools have great policies in place for trauma response, but I never want to experience that. What are the chances of that? School is supposed to be a place where you can learn with no fear. Will that ever happen again?

Two side notes
First, As tragic as the shooting in Pennsylvania was today I did have to smile inside when I heard that they called 911 from the school. I know that Amish societies do use phones for certain things, especially emergencies, however it still seems kind of off they'd be using phones! Glad they do though.

Second, Rachel and Nathan were engaged yesterday and Rich and I missed it being in Kingston visiting my family for the weekend. Congratulations to you both and have fun planning! You are adorable and I hope you have a long and happy life together!

6 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jaci - with a child in school, even grade school it's a scary thought, for any parent with children in school and it worries me greatly what is going on with all these shootings.....it's just scary being a parent these days, I mean Im sure it was scary 50 years ago too, but I dont think to the degree that it is now.....

I feel for those families, in both shootings that lost a child..such a horrid thought

 
At 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, the big answer of course is free will. But contributing factors are that we live in a god-less society with a god-less world view.

People today are so bent on allowing their feelings to control their lives, that nobody tells them that feelings don't determine thier identity. If you think you are a man trapped in a woman's body - you should be addressing the obvious problem with your thinking. Not having an operation to change God's design to come in line with your sinful thought process.

We live in a world of Oprahs, Dr. Phils, and Phil Donohues - where your feelings determine who you are. God didn't create you, you imagine yourself however you want - however sinful - and that is who you are. There is no right and wrong. Christians know better of course. Their identity is in Christ, not determined by their feelings or temptations. That's why there is no such thing as a non-practicing homosexual. Your identity is not determined by your temptations. If there were such a thing, how many people would have to walk around saying "I am a non-practicing adulterer." or "I am a non-practicing rapist." or "I am a non-practicing fornicator." (Although so many people today brag about their fornicating, or living together outside of marriage, ... we don't even have healthy shame any more)

We teach children they came from guppies and are accidents of nature, then wonder why they have no self-esteem.

We create a religion of macro-evolution (based on faith), and laughingly call it science. (bad science is what it really is)

We teach children that there is no absolute truth, so the person who believes you need to kill to get to heaven cannot be argued. We stand by and say nothing when people kill the unborn (Canada), the disabled (Florida), and the elderly (Europe).

Adults everywhere embrace the lie that all roads lead to heaven. It is better to be politically correct than it is to be truthful.

We allow revisionist history to deny the diety and teachings of Jesus.

We, as a nation, have displayed the blatant disregard for children. We have sold their little hearts to the god of convenience and personal reproductive rights. How sad.

Should we be surprised that people kill children in schools when mothers everywhere in North America are doing the same to their own offspring?

Parents take their children to violent places like wrestling matches, (even pay for it) and then are so surprised when a child is kicked to death in a schoolyard.

People are too lazy and apathetic to attend church with their children, and get them involved in Godly activities, with other godly families. They mock church and worship. Many don't provide any spiritual leadership at all. Husbands everywhere are abdicating their most important role.

If people don't know that their temptations are from Satan, and that there is a Savior, they are hopeless.

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Jaci said...

I appreciate your comments anoymous but I gotta say when you leave your comment as "anonymous" very few people will bother to take to heart anything you say.

(Oh and btw, not sure about Phil Donahue, but Oprah and Dr Phil are always talking about being created by God and Dr Phil has actively promoted churches and Christian Women's Conferences among other things.)

 
At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry Jaci - meant to click preview - wasn't finished ....

You are right annonymous posts are not credible ... but I don't have a profile ...

I was just commenting on shows of Dr. Phil and Oprah I have seen. Encouraging people in many ungodly ways ... basically to justify their "feelings" - ignoring what God has said is sin.

Many churches are into new-age these days so it is not surprising that they promote the same lines of thought and vice versa ... and belief in a god is not the same as belief in God.

In any case this nation is certainly are in a need of prayer... and as my wife is a teacher these shootings are always disturbing ...

Blessings,

Unka Steve

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Jaci said...

There we go! Thanks Uncle Steve. Always welcome your comments. Glad you're reading my blog!

It's sad that in today's society teachers may have to wear bullet proof vests at some point. Rich doesn't even have to wear them and his job should be way more dangerous.

 
At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good grief I wouldn't want Rich's job either ... but I sure am glad he's there! WTG Rich ...! Hope you get danger pay ...

I don't get much time for blogs ... but I was a little slow here ... (shhhhh) Don't tell anyone ... LOL

Unka Steve

 

Post a Comment

<< Home