Tuesday, June 27, 2006

The "other woman"

So it's 3am and I am awake. Again. Since I've been off my sleeping has been a bit messed up as I sleep when I'm tired, which often means afternoon naps. Rich was on nights the last couple weeks and early Sunday morning he got home around 4:30am, and I was still awake. We both slept till 1pm and then Rich was back in bed at 9:30pm trying to get some sleep as he had to be up at 4:30am Monday morning for a day shift. He was up sometime after midnight - just as I was getting ready to go to bed. He couldn't sleep, and we watched some of a movie. We then tried again. Neither of us could sleep. As a result Rich got almost no sleep before work. I was able to go to sleep around 6am and forced myself up at 11am hoping to get turned back around. No naps all day! By close to 10pm I was asleep. By 12:40am I was awake, and I still am, so I thought I'd blog.

Rich and I haven't been married too long but I have had to make room for Rich's other partner. Someone else he spends time with (some weeks more than he spends with me), and confides in. That other person is Darren. Darren is Rich's partner at work. They have been together about a year and a half now. Darren and his wife Melissa were at our wedding, we eat at their place, they eat at ours.
Darren is great as the other woman in Rich's life. He's on Rich to mow the lawn and do yard work, do handy stuff around the house. When Rich can't do it, he has Darren to call. I never have to mention to Rich the lawn needs mowing. Darren does that for me.

Having a work partner is normal. Most paramedics do work with the same person every shift. Darren and Rich however are a bit of a different case. Now every 2 weeks they work 84 hours. They are with each other exclusively for many of those hours. Even 2 women would have time to talk about everything in the world with that kind of a schedule, and you'd think after 18months they would have. Not these boys. This is what I find the most amusing. That 84 hours is worked over a 7 days. One week he works 5 days, the next 2. I would say out of every 7 days the boys have off, AT LEAST 5 of them (often more) they are on the phone at least once during the day.

One night when Rich and I were at the movies in Ancaster we decided to go to dinner at Montanas. We were parked right at the front and walked back to the Montanas instead of moving the car. As we're walking Rich spotted a truck. He circled it and peeked in the windows (which was making me slightly uncomfortable....was he casing it?) and then he said "that's Darren's truck!". Almost like Darren was out cheating on him. So he called Darren and invited him and his wife to Montanas with us when their movie let out. What are the odds without discussing it, we were at the same theater, on the same night, seeing shows that ended around the same time, and that in that big parking lot we would walk right by Darren's truck, and Rich would notice it?

Those two are meant to be together. I am confident if anything happened to me, Darren would take good care of Rich.

1 Comments:

At 7:20 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

That was the cutest blog...my husband has that too at work, they really are attached at the hip aren't they? and they have SUCH a personal routine that no wife or girlfriend could interupt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home