Sunday, June 11, 2006

Recovery

May 30th I had my last dinner around 11:30pm. Chocolate covered strawberries. Yummmm. I couldn't eat after midnight and I didn't know when I'd have an appetite again so I made it count.

May 31st Rich took me to St Joes to get ready for my surgery. There was a lot of waiting. There was a lot of sitting in an uncomfortable chair that made my back hurt. It was one of the few things that made me stay and not run out of there - thinking back pain may be a thing of the past soon. So after 45 minutes of sitting surrounded by 5 men all in those sexy robes they give us, she finally called me. This nurse was nice. Then the surgeon came in and made a bunch of markings on me. I felt like a connect the dots. Rich came in to say goodbye and then the 2 worst things pre-surgery happened. 1. Rich left. 2. They took my glasses. I can't see anything without my glasses/contacts so I feel very helpless. Then I was wheeled into the room where the staff was getting impatient - apparently my anesthesiologist was off having coffee or something and was late. Why are the operating rooms all green? The nurse said supposedly it was soothing. First, I'm having surgery - a color will not soothe me. Second, I will be asleep for 98% of the time I'm in that room so does it really matter?

They put me to sleep and next thing I know I've got an oxygen mask on in the recovery room. They nice ladies there gave me morphine. I liked them. That's all I remember about that other than my first experience with a bedpan. That was fun.

Next thing I know I'm in a room. Rich is there and so is a nurse. This nurse is mean. She was rough and made me get up quickly. She also tied the gown at the back and then would pull on it at the front to check the dressings, forgetting she had tied it up. I wasn't happy with her. I was getting sick due to either the anesthetic or the morphine - the nurses weren't sure which.

Shift change at 7 and I now had 2 nice nurses. I also had a semi private room with no one else in it and a tv. That was nice. Rich left at 8 which I felt bad - I slept the whole time he was there. The nice nurses came and gave me drugs and a back rub. At midnight though I was still getting sick periodically so they took me off the morphine. Mean ladies. By 6am I needed something so they brought me some Tylenol 3's. I took them and immediately threw up. Weird thing though they pills stayed down. How does that work?

Anyway in came the surgeon around 9am and brought in his team of residents and colleagues - all men of course. He wanted to check my dressings and by that time so many people had seen my chest - really what was 6 more? The new nurse I thought was a bit mean but she ended up being quite nice.

They released me and Rich took me home with instructions to take me back to the surgeon on Monday. This was Thursday. So home we went. Friday he picked up my sister and brought her to visit and help out. She leaves today but she's been a big help.

Monday I saw the surgeon again and he took off most of the bandages and said I was looking better than many of his patients do at that stage. I felt sorry for the other patients cause I thought it looked awful. Monday I was finally able to shower again yaaaaay! It was a very difficult thing to do. Lots of pain and nausea and I had a long nap after the whole ordeal was done.

Tuesday I experienced some normal aftereffects the doc warned me about. By Tuesday night though I was worse, so Rich called in to work and said he wouldn't be in the next day.

Wednesday I woke Rich up 3 times between 6 and 8 I was bleeding so much. This was both frustrating and stressful.

Thursday morning Rich called in again and we were back at the hospital as the bleeding hadn't stopped. Thursday night fight with stupid Sunlife about benefits. Friday morning still fighting with Sunlife, hopefully have it straightened out now.

Still bleeding though. It's very frustrating not healing properly. For both Rich and myself.

Rich has done a wonderful job taking care of me. Talie too. Rich has cooked so well since I've been off (lasagna, baked shells, etc) that I think I will quit cooking all together and let him do it even when I'm better. I felt kind of unnecessary this week - I couldn't do anything. I was quite happy today when Rich needed me for a "wardrobe malfunction" (he got pancake mix on his black shirt and didn't know what to do).

So now comes the waiting process. Waiting to stop bleeding. Until the bleeding stops the rest of me can't heal properly. Waiting for the pain to go away. Waiting for more energy. We went for a small walk around the block yesterday and that was exhausting. I'll be pretty much stuck at home for another week at least, then maybe I can get out for short trips.

Thank you to Peggy and Kerrie for helping take care of me while Rich went out. Thank you for the fruit basket it's awesome! Thank you to Mom and Dad for all your phone calls and gifts and prayers. Love and miss you. Thank you to Natasha and Abby for the flowers and for bringing Rich dinner - it was very thoughtful of you! Thank you to Laura for coming to check on me and coming and watching a movie with us - and not being offended that I feel asleep. Thank you to Margie (and Pernell for checking in) for coming to visit and for the gift - and for Sam for coming as well. Thank you to Kelly for coming to hang out last night and for all the gifts - it was very thoughtful and so useful! Thank you to everyone else who called and emailed to check up on me - all were noticed and appreciated.

Thank you to Talie for giving up your vacation to come spend time helping me out but mostly keeping me company. We really appreciated you being here.

Thank you to my wonderful hubby Rich for being so attentive and helpful, and not making me feel guilty for not being able to do really anything. I love you.

So I am still recovering. Even with a break sitting doing this blog is draining so I will be heading back to the couch, but at least I'm able to get off the couch for a bit. I don't return to work until July 3rd so it will be a while still before I can get to see people. Pray the bleeding stops. It's not fun.

Back to recovering!

5 Comments:

At 12:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm totally thinking about you sweety!!!

(btw - could you e-mail me your phone number....or is it better to e-mail?? you let me know!!!)

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

I had read previous posts about your upcoming surgery, nice to hear it went well, sorry to hear you are still in so much pain. one day at a time, that is all you can do.

cheers

:)

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Margie said...

Yeaqh she posted!!!!!

I will come and see you again! By the by we are all ready to make meals now that your house wife has to go back to work!

Love you a big bunch!

 
At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jaci! Glad to hear that you are on your way to recovery. If you need an ice cream, Moulin Rouge watching companion...I am your girl. Get better soon!

 
At 6:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about Oklahoma next? "Oh what a beautiful morning" Or maybe The KIng and I, "shall we dance, doo-doo-doo" or "Our state fair is a great state fair, don't miss it, don't even be late!", or maybe Fiddler on the Roof "Traaadition, Tradition!!" Oh so many choices. LOVED Hair, thought about Berger all the next day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home