Thursday, June 22, 2006

Spacefoam and Reality TV

Recovery is still sucky. Not progressing like I should be. On to more fun topics.

Those who know us know about our Chewie. Shortly after getting Chewie it was determined that Rich is a cat person who likes dogs, I on the other hand, am a dog person who tolerates cats. So what is frequently heard at our house from Rich are things like "Chewie you are Daddy's little girl aren't you....such a good girl...." and other mushy things like this that he thinks I don't hear. When she's bad however, it's "Jac YOUR dog did (insert most recent infraction here)".

On our bed we had one of those space foam thingys that are a couple inches thick. We loved it. It was a gift and we have now become accustomed to it after using it for the past 8 months or so. Chewie loved it too. Too much. She had taken to disappearing into the bedroom and when we would realize she was gone and search her out, she'd be sitting proudly in front of the small chunks of foam she'd ripped out (which of course means she's ripped the sheets). Up until yesterday the damage although frustrating, was salvageable. Yesterday was a different story.

Yesterday Rich was out, and Chewie and I went to the backyard for a few minutes. We came back in, I settled back onto the couch, and less than 10 minutes later Chewie came out with a chunk of something in her mouth. Spacefoam. I went to the bedroom to survey the damage. Not only had she chewed right THROUGH the foam this time (a hole the size of my hand right through) she had managed to pull this very heavy foam up and flipped half of it over. I called Rich to warn him.

Rich got home and we sat on the edge of the bed accessing the damage and trying to decide if we should spend the money to replace it. As we were sitting, the bed moved. The frame broke. So now it was tilting considerably to one side of and sloping down at the bottom. We were incredibly frustrated.

So today we trekked on a search for a cheap bedframe. We hit the thrift stores (slowly mind you - I do everything slowly right now) and tried to find one. We didn't succeed and we ended up at Sears. Over $90 later we had a bedframe. That sucked. Then we went to Costco to get the Spacefoam as Rich had determined his back is MUCH better on the foam. The foam is very heavy and Rich got the foam and frame into the house.

Rich is on nights, and before he started his routine to get ready for work he got the foam all ready on the bed as it has to settle overnight. He didn't bother to move the pillows, just flopped the foam on top of them. So much for lying flat like the directions said. While he was in the shower I noticed this and moved the pillows so it could lie flat.

Rich went to the bedroom to get dressed and I had just settled back on the couch. He calls me. "Jac?" I said "Yes?" hoping to not have to get back up. He said "you better come see this". Expecting to see Chewie doing something ridiculous I head to the bedroom. He says "I put the spacefoam out and it expanded already while I was in the shower! It pushed the pillows right up against the wall out of the way!". I almost hated to burst his bubble. I said "really? it pushed them all by itself?" He said "Yes I swear I didn't move them". The look of dejection and realization on his face when I told him I had in fact moved them, and he realized we did not have magic spacefoam was priceless.

I can't give him too hard a time or he won't feed me and I'm still a bit helpless. But hopefully, that endeth the spacefoam saga.

On the topic of dogs, I read the book Marley and Me this week. Highly recommend it. It's written by a journalist in the US. It's very well written. Within the first 8 Chapters I had already laughed outloud several times and cried. It's one of the best books I've read in a while. If you like dogs, or any animal, get the book!

On a completely separate note, as is my life lately, I am watching a lot of TV, and I have these comments:
a) LOVE Big Brother, so happy it's back on. I know it's a dumb show but I love it.
b) So You Think You Can Dance - Love Donyelle and Benji.
c) America's Got Talent - Weird. Too much Regis is annoying.
d) Very happy Lost is rerunning so I can catch up.
e) Canadian Idol still sucks
f) Love Last Comic Standing. Josh Blue is my favorite. Chris Porter is a close second. Did anyone see the guy last week that looked like Pernell?

Off to bed.

2 Comments:

At 10:13 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

Aren't the joys of doggie ownership great???? Ours (she now lives up with my dad and stepmom as we decided she needed the space and life that we couldn't give her in city) ate and destroyed a few things of ours as well....we have a cat too......I love both so I was never particular to one or the other

seems your Puppie is well named!

:)

 
At 2:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, did you know there is a fan site dedicated to Josh Blue, the comedian with cerebral palsy on "Last Comic Standing"? Check it out at http://joshblue.typepad.com. It has video clips, photos, a way to send fan mail, and the latest on Josh and the show!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home