Tuesday, October 17, 2006

There's no place like home....

I am in Toronto. I just finished my first observation day and I am exhausted. I hardly did anything that I feel would cause this exhaustion but I think it was more the adrenaline and excitement and the late night.

The school is awesome. The music department has over 600 kids in - how incredible is that? I did get to do a tiny bit of teaching today. One kid was struggling playing the trumpet - he couldn't even make a sound on it, just air. So one of the teachers (who are all great by the way) asked if I wanted to give it a shot. So we worked for about 10 minutes and lo and behold - a sound! He did great once he got that initial sound and we worked on 3 notes or so. My instructions were "get him to make ANY sound....please!" so I think they were happy with what we accomplished.

The crappy part of this is being away from Rich. It really sucks. It sucks being away from my home too. I can't just go get the book I forgot in the other room - it's 100km away. I feel very disjointed being away. Pray I get through this next month without going completely bonkers!

So I have to mention a fabulous person. She absolutely rocks. She is helping us out with Chewie while I am in school with walking her on Rich's long days (which could be a very annoying task - especially on days like today). She came over for a crash course in Chewie yesterday before I left and she was such a big help. She made me stay on task getting packed and ready to go, getting a bit of tidying done first, and then the most fabulous thing, was she offered to pick up some things for me that were seriously stressing me out. She gave me a bit of extra time to do some homework and spend time with Rich while she did an errand for me. So thank you so much! You are a true friend and Rich and I appreciate you more than you know.

6 Comments:

At 8:05 PM, Blogger Jason Soper said...

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your placement even though it is a little further away than you might like. I'll keep you in my prayers. Separation anxiety can be a little hard, but just hang in there and in those times when you begin feel a little down, just remember that you have a community of friends who are praying for you.

 
At 5:44 AM, Blogger Jaci said...

Thanks Jason I appreciate that!

 
At 8:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jaci, even though it will be hard with the distance and all, it sounds as if you will have a good placement at the school. I'm sure you'll be the greatest teacher there. You're so kind! The kids will love you!

And - way to go Natasha! You are being so wonderful, helping Jaci & Rich out and all. I am a little jealous of the job as dog sitter/walker though...he.he he... Makes me miss my Nala... : ' (

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Margie said...

Hope you keep your chin up and enjoy the oportunity to be in such a great music program:)

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger Natasha said...

Chewie was soo good on the walk... I hope that its not raining on every walk though... I would much prefer the (dare I say it) snow... Glad to hear that the first day was good.... even if it was exhausting.... look at you go helping kids already....
No surprise here.

 
At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW, a whole month away, that seems like such a long time doesnt it? dont worry it will go fast

congrats on your first TRIUMPH at school, I'm sure a moment like that makes it all worth it!

must say I'm kinda jealous here..I haven't lived in Toronto for almost 9 years now and I confess I do miss it

 

Post a Comment

<< Home