Sunday, February 05, 2006

Training Chewie

We took Chewie to obedience school on Friday and she was terrible. So much worse than the week before. It felt worse than it was I think because we wanted her to do so well. Rich and I were both sick this week so not as much training happened so it wasn't really her fault. Little things she was perfect at before (like sit) Rich had to place her in that position instead of letting her go on her own. Down was super hard. When she doesn't go, we are supposed to pull down on her collar slightly and put a bit of pressure between her shoulder blades and push her off balance a bit, so she goes down on her own.

Anyway this worked in class ok but we know she can do it on her own she was just being stubborn. I was expressing frustration during the weekend that she has stopped listening to me as well as she does to Rich. He said to make sure she knew I was boss - don't give her a command unless I can follow through and make her obey it if she doesn't. So yesterday I was being a bit more assertive. If she didn't sit I placed her in her sit, told her she was good and on with my day. Last night we were having forced interaction with Chewie and the cats. We throw them in a room with no escape and let them duke it out. Hours of entertainment. We actually just want them to tolerate each other. Chewie gets a few swats on the nose from the cats but when they don't move she flops and sleeps. As soon as they move they are toys to chase, she runs, they run, on it goes.

So Chewie was getting tired out and we had all three of them in the living room with us. We wanted to work on some training while she was distracted. So I went over and said "Chewie sit". She sat. "Down". Nothing. "Chewie look at me." She did. "Down". Chewie looked at the cats. This went on a couple times and I was getting frustrated. Rich said to try what they'd told us in class. So I did. I grab the part of her collar I'm supposed and try to lead her down and push her off balance a bit. She's like a rock. She will not move. It's like having a toddler that is Superman. Finally I get her head so it's a half inch from the ground, but she's so stubborn she will not lie down. So she starts to fight. We wrestle for probably 5 minutes. I'm exhausted - she's way stronger than I am. But when I look, she's lying down. I start to bawl. I think I must have hurt her. Rich says she's ok but I figure she'll hate me. I pet her for a long time telling her she's good as I cry. She must think I'm nuts. I tell her "Ok" and up she gets. We play for a minute, then I say down again. Nothing. We go through the whole routine again, I'm still crying, only now I have rug burn on my knuckles. She's finally down. Rich gives me treats and I work on down a bunch more times with food.

A while later he takes Chewie downstairs to do some laundry and she goes to her usual terrorizing the cats position. I say "Chewie here". She comes! Shocking! I say sit, she sits. Now for the test. "Chewie down!". Down she goes. I am so happy! I still think she hates me though.

This morning I woke up and called Chewie up to the bed. She happily did and licked me to death. All is well with the world, she still loves me. My knuckles are still sore, but Chewie loves me and I think is listening a bit better. If training a puppy is this hard, how many kazillion times harder will it be when we have kids?!
Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

At 9:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your dog is SOOO freaking cute!!!

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger Jaci said...

I love her so much she's so much fun! I can't wait to dress her up at Christmas and Halloween!

 
At 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh jaci...i think your my new best friend....i love dressing up pets.

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Jaci said...

Lol as long as I can sneak it by Rich I will!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home