Tuesday, January 24, 2006

American Idol

Can I first start by saying I love Simon. I know he's mean and has no tact, but I love him. I wish he'd leave people and their appearance alone, but usually I don't mind when he knocks someone's singing if it's truly horrible (and I don't think I've ever heard him knock someone who wasn't). For the most part, I find it refreshing, someone telling a potential singer the honest to goodness truth. I love those people who yell at him "Simon you wait, I'll make it on my own!". No, see the thing is, you really won't. If you were good enough to make money, why would Simon not want you making money for him?

I have identified the problem though. It's not the kids auditioning for the most part. It's the parents. Now encouragement is one thing, but giving false hope is just mean. Growing up I remember singing - and not that long ago, at a Christmas service, knowing I'd done pretty lousy, sitting back down beside my Dad and when I said "how did I do?" (knowing full well the answer) he said "Yup not so great". Dad rocks. He gave me a hug, and that was it. I know when I've sucked. I appreciate all those times growing up when my parents would tell me what was good about the song, but wouldn't tell me it was phenomenal if it wasn't. And I'm glad. Music is a super competitive field. Even school was competitive. You had to fight for your place in classes, audition and sing like you've never sung before, and keep your fingers crossed it was enough. If it wasn't, you worked harder, and tried again. Constructive criticism is important. You know what sucks even more than hearing a "you were absolutely dreadful and have the personality of a hippo"? Singing your brains out and getting a B. Or a C. Or really anything but an A. Spending hours and hours and hours on a composition and hearing "it's ok".

So I appreciate Simon. I appreciate someone giving people a dose of reality. Not everyone is musical. That's ok. If one of those girls wearing the itty bitty skirts who couldn't carry a tune if her life depended on it had a parent who honestly said "you are fun to listen to kiddo, but here, why don't you try the piano?" maybe they'd be another Beethoven, instead of another Keith. And all you American Idol fans out there, you know who Keith is. (If you need a good laugh try and download his video audition from Season 2.)

Thus endeth my rant on unrealistic parents, and my continuing music crush on Simon, who although silly in his "baby tees" has given America a good dose of reality. If only he'd do the same for Canada.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home