Sunday, February 26, 2006

New friends and missing bras

So some of you know I seriously question my social skills. I have a hard time actually getting off my butt and going out where I am out of my comfort zone. Last night was Sarah's Magic Birthday party and when I looked at who responded they were going and realized I knew pretty much no one I was all set to not go. I've been challenged by a few people including my hubby to get out there and make friends. So mustering up all my courage I showered, did my hair, pulled out some non wrinkled clothes, and got ready to go.

Now another thing some of you know is I am scheduled for a breast reduction surgery the end of May. As it's only 3 months away, and my bras currently cost a minimum of $100/each, I'd bought two in my new size and can't justify $100 for another one for three months. So I have 2 bras, one comfy, one not so comfy. The comfy one has been MIA for a couple weeks now, which has been annoying considering bras can't go in the dryer for one, and it's the comfy one that is missing.

So how does this fit in to my story? Well you see I looked around for bra #2. It was no where. I retraced my steps, got up, went to Costco with Rich, came back, took off bra, went to washroom, helped put away Costco items, and that was it. Now, 7 hours later, the bra is gone. I mean completely and totally gone. I feel completely stupid now as I call Sarah and explain, who of course laughs (which is what I would have done) at what is probably the dumbest excuse in the world for not coming to a party. Needless to say I never made it.

Now on an upnote, the bra did resurface at 11:30pm on Friday night. It was under a chair which had a blanket over it. I found it when I rescued the cat - Chewie found her and I was rescuing her.

So today, armed with bra, I went to help Sarah move. Again I was nervous - I've known Sarah for a bunch of years now but I wasn't sure who else would be there. Off I go to what was easily the fastest and easiest move ever (thanks Sada!) and check out the new pad. Coolest place ever! Dave and Sarah have the coolest basement apartment I've ever seen! So after the moving is done, Sarah invites me back for dinner and a movie which I of course sort of accept and decline at the same time because I am afraid of coming back and being stuck in a possibly socially awkward moment (because I'm a pessimist and expect the worst of course). But after a nap and some dinner at home with Rich, I not only muster up the courage, I have my bra, and I go armed with peanut butter rice krispie squares!

So we watched a movie, had some snacks, teased Sarah for sleeping, and stood in the freezing cold talking. It was so nice to be out. Although I've been in Hamilton almost 2 years now I really haven't made an effort to meet people or go out - I've been with Rich and his family or friends, so there was no need. But Pernell did challenge us to develop community, and I know it's what I've been missing. It makes my completely crappy job slightly less crappy!

Now it is 10 to 2 in the morning, I am home from my evening'o'fun, and ready to climb into bed with Chewie who as I type this has been mysteriously quiet. I hope Rich's slippers are still there.

So thank you to Rich for encouraging me to go, Pernell for challenging me and everyone else, and especially to Jen, Nick, Dave and Sarah for being the coolest people ever! You definitely made my weekend!

2 Comments:

At 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Jaci, go.

Glad you did it. We'll keep after you... and we're super-glad you're part of our community.

 
At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jaci, you rock! I had fun freezing my buns off outside with you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home