Sunday, August 26, 2007

Bicycles

You know what makes me mad? People who ride bicycles. Not all of course, but the ones who "share the road". I'll explain. If you are riding a bike on the road like you are supposed to, you are to follow the rules of the road right? Right. But unfortunately, I have seen very, very few people on bikes who actually do this. They don't stop at lights, stop signs, for pedestrians, anything. What drives me completely up the wall is the dude (be it a male or female dude) on the bike who at a red light will pass all the cars and make his way up to the front of the light, and sometimes even run the light. So now I've had to go around bike guy once, which I don't mind at all. If he's riding safely and I can pass him safely, great. If though, I pass him, stop at a light, and then he passes me because he doesn't feel like stopping for the light, and then I have to pass him again, then I'm mad. I've passed the same person on a bike 4 times on one stretch of road. So frustrating. So for those of you who ride bikes, especially for exercise or environmental reasons, more power to you. For those of you who I have to pass time and time again because you are picking and choosing which laws you follow and which you don't, to you I say grrrrrrrrrr. If you are one and the same, sorry, but grrrrrrrr will apply to you too.

3 Comments:

At 11:26 PM, Blogger Lara Eichhorn said...

Haha, you sound so passionate about it. They drive me crazy too, though. Victoria has probably more bikes on the road than most cities. Sometimes I see them waiting at crosswalks, which we also have a lot of, but I won't stop for them unless they get off their bike like they're supposed to.

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger miranda said...

One time when i was younger, i wasn't allowed to ride my bike on the road. I didn't like this. So i decided to be a rebel and ride it on the road ... unfortunately, i was approaching a truck PARKED on the road and i couldn't stop in time and got my front wheel wedged under the back of the truck. I had to go get my parents.

Unrelated to your frustrations, but funny no?

I get so scared passing bikers on the road ... but i do support their environmental...ness!

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Margie said...

However drivers don't treat bikers like another vehicle on the road.

As a biker who rides on the road instead of the ignorant ones riding on the sidewalk almost hitting those they drive by... I have been almost hit on several occasions... people go to turn corners almost taking me out. When I stop at a light they don't respect me and stay behind me...

I guess it goes both ways... don't think it will ever be fair. Just remember there are good bikers and I would rather a biker on the road then a sidewalk where they could harm the elderly, children, disabled... etc.

But I do agree there are quite a few crazies out there... both on bikes and in cars!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home